Friday, July 16, 2010

Melted Heart: Why I Love Volunteering

After a too-long vacation from volunteering at the shelter, I wandered in the other day to find almost all new dogs.  Every time I am away for a long stretch and then go back in, I wonder why I waited so long to go back.

It was far too hot to take any of the dogs on a normal-length walk, so I spent most of my time indoors looking at all the new faces and rubbing chins.  One face wasn't new, but I hadn't gotten to know him when he was new a few weeks ago.

The little Norwich terrier had been very scared of everybody when he first came in and apparently he hasn't change too much.  I got a leash to take him outside and several volunteers warned me, "He nips, be careful," and "You're better off just putting him in the yard."  But with such a sweet wiry face, I had to give him a chance.  I'm all about the chances.

So I let him sniff me.  He saw the boo-boo on my thumb and started to lick my bandage.  He either knew I had a cut, or liked the taste of antibiotic cream.

Then he nudged me to pet him on the head and behind the ears.

Each time I tried to get the leash on his harness, he shied away.  I wasn't going to push it, that'd just make things worse for him.  So I knelt there in his cage and we became buddies.  This so called little nipper ended up semi-snuggling with me and giving me kisses all over.  I managed to get the leash on and only after the fact did he notice and put his mouth around my hand, barely pressing down.

I wasn't able to coax him out of his cage enough to get him outside, but the other volunteers were impressed that I got the leash on him.  I took the leash off (no nips at all) and stayed with him a few more minutes.  I felt guilty about leaving him and he looked so eager every time I passed his cage.

Later I looked him up on the shelter website and in his story it does mention that with patience he'll cuddle and love you, so I know I'm not the only one who has given him a go and that reassures me.

If I could, I'd snatch him up in an instant.  I've said that about plenty of dogs, though.  I hope he finds a good home, soon.

It's little victories like this that make volunteering at an animal shelter so wonderful.  With time, that little guy is going to be a great companion for somebody.  It's all about understanding and patience.

Then again, it's bittersweet because I can't have him for my own!

No comments:

Post a Comment